Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bon Odori Festival 2008

Bon Odori festival is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the departed (deceased) spirits of one's ancestors. This Buddhist custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars. Also called the Feast of Lanterns, it has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon-Odori.
(Err.. you can read the whole thing here rather than copy and pasting here..)

Anyway, it was my first time there and I get to try my external flash again.. really tough taking photos there as I had to rely on the telephoto to reach the stage area and another problem was trying to frame my photos away from the super powerful glaring floodlights..
Overall, the event was quite colourful and lively.. but I find it somewhat bored as the shows kept on repeating and the event ended within 2 hours only.. OK lar.. not too bad lar, if you talk about the photography lessons learned.. I still think I need to learn to shoot with the flash on..and also lift more weights.. the body + flash is really heavy..
Here's one of my photos..


You can catch the rest of the photos here in my facebook.

Would I go again next year? Yes, I would.. want to try my hands on portraits again..
The next upcoming event I can think of is the Malaysian International Fireworks Competition which will be held next month, August. For me, it will be easy cos I can just walk to the viewing spot.. Wonder if people still gonna come all the way to Putrajaya to view it due to the petrol hike? Will know by then..


Ciao...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dates for the 2008 MIFC are here;
http://www.fireworksguide.com/#Translate

izso said...

Nice. But a slightly more frontal angle wouldn't be even better

Alex Hang said...

izso : thanks.. no way to get much frontals cos i am 10m away and the stage is quite high.. no chance to get onto the stage ler.. :(
maybe next time i can ask for vip pass if i dress up like doraemon.. haha

anonymous : thanks.. tat is alot of fireworks show going on..